Some Kind of Savior

Metallica has a song called "Some Kind of Monster". I was doing a study of Revelation 1:9-20 for a song I've been writing. It probably won't be called "Some Kind of Savior" but it's a good working title. Anyhow, in this section of Revelation a symbolic physical description of God is given. I've always wanted to know more about it so I dove in.

The descriptions I focused on are the following.

1. Hair white as snow
2. Eyes like a flame of fire
3. Feet like burnished bronze
4. Voice like the roar of many waters
5. Right hand held seven stars
6. 2 edged sword protruded from his mouth
7. His face was like the sun shining in full force

Rather than tell you what I found in full I'll abbreviate but give all the verses for reference that I looked at.

1. Hair white as snow

The Bible actually makes it clear in a few spots that we should look at people with gray hair as being wise. We should respect them and honor them. It is supposed to be the sign of a righteous life. Daniel 7:9, Leviticus 19:32, Proverbs 16:31, Proverbs 20:29

2. Eyes like a flame of fire

Here the eyes of God are given somewhat of a terrifying characteristic. They burn through our facades and see the truth. Not only that but they are royal eyes. The only ones with the right to judge. They see what we cannot. Revelation 2:18-19, 19:12, Daniel 10:6

3. Feet like burnished bronze

I can think of a few things "bronze feet" would be good for. Marching over enemy ground for one. Also, bronze is solid like the truth. When it comes to His judgments He has the power to carry them out. Revelation 2:18, Ezekiel 1:7, Daniel 10:6

4. Voice like the roar of many waters

Thinking of this was just mind boggling to me. In the old testament, when Elijah spoke to God, God's voice was supposed to be a still small voice. What's interesting to note to me is that God isn't the only one who says what He says. As God says something so do all the Angels and His faithful down below as if with one voice. If you've ever been in a stadium at a sporting event or at a Christian Conference and heard even just 10,000 people shouting the same thing, then you know it can also sound like thunder. If your a musician you may have even noticed people nearby accidentally speaking in harmony. As John was seeing this it strikes me that God seemed to be in war mode. He's ready to end this thing. Ezekiel 1:24, Revelation 14:2, 19:6, Ezekiel 43:2

5. Right hand held seven stars

The seven stars represent the angels that speak His messages to the Seven Churches. It is another display of His royalty. He sends them afar to enforce His message and His leadership. Revelation 1:20, 2:1, 3:1

6. Sword in the mouth

I figure the sword in the mouth has something to do with piercing truth. Truth can set you free unless your a liar then it can totally destroy you. The words God speaks are very precise and they can come to a point just where He wants them to. With a move of the tongue He can speak to your mind, your flesh, your soul, or even your very bones. With a royal decree He can raise up or put down a nation. It shows that God isn't just letting us battle alone. Specifically, in the war of words He's willing to directly intervene. Isaiah 49:2, Ephesians 6:17, Hebrews 4:12, Revelation 19:15, Revelation 2:12

7. His face was like the sun shining in full force

God is exalted & ascended. He is risen and His glory falls from above. He's wise and righteous. Above all this He's all powerful. He can do what He wants I'm guessing He likes the light. So, why not radiate light? Furthermore, He is the light. He brings it. Matthew 17:2, Judges 5:31, 2nd Samuel 23:4, Daniel 12:3, Matthew 19:43, Psalm 19:4-5, 37:6

That's all for my first post thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts

Revelation 1:1-2